This is a summary of major stories in the African entertainment scene in the last one week.
1. BURNA BOY, WIZKID, DIAMOND PLATNUMZ VIE FOR BET AWARD: Wizkid and Burna Boy from Nigeria and Tanzania’s Diamond Platnumz, have been nominated for the Best International Act category at the 2021 edition of the BET Awards. The three are up for the award along with Aya Nakamura (France), Emicida (Brazil), Headie One (UK) Young T and Bugsey (UK), and Youssoupha (France). Burna Boy has won the award twice, in 2019 and 2020, while Wizkid won it in 2012.
Diamond Platnumz is being nominated for the third time after giving it a shot in 2014 and 2016 in the category of Best International Acts Africa. The ceremony will be held on June 27, 2021 and will have a live audience after being hosted virtually in 2020 because of the novel coronavirus.
2. GHANAIAN SUPERSTAR WENDY SHAY ANNOUNCES INSTAGRAM ACCOUNT HACK: Award-winning Ghanaian Afrobeat and Afropop singer Wendy Shay announced last Saturday that her verfied Instagram account of about 2.3m followers had been hacked. In a tweet, she said the account was hacked after release of her Shayning Star album on the same day. She wrote “ I just released the Shayning Star album and my Instagram account with 2.3 Million followers has been hacked . I need urgent help @Instagram. Agenda Boys this time help your sister”.
3. DJ DIMPLEZ OF SOUTH AFRICA SPEAKS ON ALLEGED RAPE INCIDENT: DJ Dimplez has finally broken his silence after trending on Twitter over a sex scandal many interpreted as a rape incident by a one night stand. He stated that he had been advised be his lawyers not to speak on the matter as it was still under investigation and thanked all those who reached out to him to offer their support and encouragement. As told by Mamdiarah “Kinky” Diakoumpa via social media, she met Dj Dimplez and they spent the night together adding that they did not use any condoms which led to her getting pregnant. She said he was so drunk that he did not remember his home address and bank pins.
People couldn’t get over the fact that she basically narrated a possible rape situation as Dj Dimplez was drunk throughout the entire time. Kinky also added that Dimplez asked her several times to abort the baby as he could not afford an extra mouth to feed since he was broke as a result of the lockdown and that after they had gone back and forth on the matter, Dimplez had blocked her on IG and she was contacted by the Sandton police over accusations of rape and extortion.
4. BROWN SUGER EP SET TO DROP AS JZYNO RELEASES LIST OF PRODUCERS WORKED WITH: Top Liberian act, Jzyno, shared that announcement of his soon to be released EP called Brown Sugar, on his social media handles. He also posted the list of producers such as Possigee, KellzBeatz, Drilyx Beat and Beatz Vampire e.t.c that he worked with on the EP which is set to drop this year. The Brown Sugar EP is the follow up project to his top singles which brought him into limelight.
5. AKA SPEAKS ON FIANCÉE, ANELE TEMBE’S DEATH FOR THE FIRST TIME: In a recent interview, Rapper Aka revealed that his late fiancée, Anele Tembe, had suicidal tendencies which she was receiving psychiatric care for. He referred to some previous threats of suicide by Anele such as when she had tried to jump out of a moving vehicle and even when she had to be talked down from jumping off a hotel ledge in Durban.
There have been allegations of domestic violence laid against the rapper in the weeks following Anele’s death and according to the interview with Thembekile Mrototo of Barleader TV which was uploaded on the 22nd of May 2021, “that’s why I said you need to understand that I was with somebody who had gone through this before and for me, I felt in that moment, I didn’t really believe that Anele would do that”.
6. NAMIBIAN RADIO GIRL, QUEEN PAULA, BECOMES HOST OF POPULAR NAMIBIAN TV SHOW: From being a former radio host, Queen Paula has recently bagged a new TV deal as television host and new face of music show, NamRequest. Produced by NamTV Namibia, the NamRequest show is all about going into the streets, talking to average Namibians and giving them a chance to request their favourite music video to be played on the show.
Queen Paula is elated at the new TV gig as she says “I love how authentically Namibian it is, with all our accents and flavours, representing the different towns we’re from. Our people get to see themselves on screen every weekend, alongside some of their favourite local stars”.
In the interview with VIBEZ!, Paula explained how she and creator of NamRequest, Roger Gabohumise, talked about working together in 2014 but lost touch and later reconnected in 2019. Paula’s career has been on a rise, including being named brand ambassador for Healthy Roots hair and skin products last year.
That’s all folks. Let us know what you think at the comment section.