English Premier League officials, representatives from all 20 sides and medical experts held emergency talks on Monday May 18 via a video conference call and agreed to stage one of the return to training protocols. This stage allows squads to train while maintaining social distancing, while contact training is not yet permitted.
In a statement, the Premier League said: “This first stage has been agreed in consultation with players, managers, Premier League club doctors, independent experts and the government. Strict medical protocols of the highest standard will ensure everyone returns to training in the safest environment possible. The health and wellbeing of all participants is the Premier League’s priority, and the safe return to training is a step-by-step process. Full consultation will now continue with players, managers, clubs, the PFA and LMA as protocols for full-contact training are developed.”
League officials have previously stressed games will only be played again when it is “safe and appropriate”. Top-flight football was suspended indefinitely on April 3 and the last Premier League fixture was played on March 9.
Meanwhile, UEFA president Aleksander Čeferin speaking with beIN Sports has said that the Europa League and Champions League will be finished by August. Read story here UEFA president says Europa League and Champions League will be finished by August