UN migration agency says at least 50 people drowned as vessel went down in the Mediterranean.
A boat carrying scores of migrants has sunk in the Mediterranean Sea off the coast of Tunisia, killing at least 50 people, according to the United Nations migration agency.
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) said sixteen people survived the shipwreck on Friday, making it one of the deadliest incidents involving migrants trying to reach Europe by sea this year.
“Another tragedy in the Mediterranean,” the organisation said.
Only four bodies have been recovered from the scene so far, according to the IOM, with search operations ongoing.
Update: IOM Tunisia reports just 4 bodies have been recovered so far in the ongoing #SAR operations.
The boat is thought to have left from Zuwara, #Libya, according to the Tunisian Ministry of Defense.
— Missing Migrants Project (@MissingMigrants) May 10, 2019